Jacob Kiplimo broke the World Record in the Half Marathon, running a blistering 57:31 at the EDP Lisbon Half Marathon on Sunday.
The 20-year-old Ugandan Kiplimos averaged 2 minutos 43 segundos per kilometer to take one second from the previous record (57:32) held by Kibiwott Kandie of Kenya.
Kiplimo produced a one of the greatest solo races in the history of distance running. He dropped the lead pack from the start and went through the first 5km in a blazing 13:40. At the 10km the Tokyo Olympics 10,000m bronze medalist clocked 27:05, and then he recorded 40:27 at the 15km, the fastest time ever recorded for the distance. His 15km split was 38 seconds faster than compatriot Cheptegai's World Best from 2018, and 43 seconds faster than Kibiwott Kandie's split in setting the half marathon World record last year in Valencia. In the later stages Kiplimo's pace dropped slightly, but it was enough to set a new World half marathon record.
The second place took Huseyidin Mohamed Esa of Ethiopia with 59 minutes and 39 seconds ahead of compatriot Gerba Beyata Dibaba, who clocked the same to take third place. The top nine men all finished inside one hour.
Tsehay Gemechu Beyan of Ethiopia claimed the women's EDP Lisbon Half Marathon title with a very fast time of 1:06:06. Kenya’s Daisy Cherotich (1:06:15) and Joyce Chepkemoi (1:06:19) took second and third respectively
This was the 5th Half Marathon world record this year between men and women.
Top results men
1. Jacob Kiplimo (UGA) - 57:31 WR
2. Huseydin Mohamed Esa (ETH) - 59:39
3. Gerba Beyata Dibaba (ETH) - 59:39
4. Hillary Kipkoech (KEN) - 59:41
5. Ibrahim Hassan Bouh (DJI) - 59:41
6. Milkesa Menhgesa Tolosa (ETH) - 59:48
Top results women
1. Tsehay Gemechu Beyan (ETH) - 1:06:06
2. Daisy Cherotich (KEN) - 1:06:15
3. Joyce Chepkemoi Tele (KEN) - 1:06:19
4. Hiwot Bebrekidan Bebremaryam (ETH) - 1:08:00
5. Vibian Chepkirui (KEN) - 1:08:02
6. Ethlemahu Sintayehu Dessi (ETH) - 1:08:16
10 December 2022 00:30 (GMT)
10 December 2022 17:00 (GMT)
11 December 2022 07:30 (GMT)
11 December 2022 08:30 (GMT)
15 December 2022 05:00 (GMT)
17 December 2022 09:00 (GMT)