The men's race winner Desisa in sprinitng finish outkicked his compatriot Gebregziabher Gebremariam (2:10:27) and Kenya's Micah Kogo (2:10:28).
"It was more of a tactical race, the Ethiopians versus the Kenyans," said Korir, the 2012 Boston Marathon winner. "Those guys were not fighting for time or anything, they were just racing to beat each other."
Jason Hartmann was the best American runner to finish in fourth.
Rita Jeptoo won the women's Boston marathon for the second time in her career posting a time of 2:26:25. Jeptoo who won the Boston marathon back in 2006 raced for the first time a major marathon race since taking two years off after having a baby in 2011.
Jeptoo closed up in an official two hours, 26 minutes and 25 seconds, crossing the finish line more than 30 seconds ahead of her nearest challenger, Meseret Hailu of Ethiopia. The defending Boston marathon champion Sharon Cherop of Kenya was another 3 seconds behind Hailu.
The best American runner was Shalane Flanagan, who finished in fourth. No American has won Boston Marathon since Lisa Larsen-Weidenbach in 1985.
Top 10 Finishers
1. Lelisa Desisa (ETH) 2h10.22
2. Micah Kogo (KEN) 2h10.27
3. Gebregziabher Gebremariam (ETH) 2h10.28
4. Jason Hartmann (USA) 2h12.12
5. Wesley Korir (KEN) 2h12.30
6. Markos Geneti (ETH) 2h12.44
7. Dickson Chumba (KEN) 2h14.08
8. Jeffrey Hunt (AUS) 2h14.28
9. Daniel Tapia (USA) 2h14.30
10. Craig Leon (USA) 2h14.38
Women1. Rita Jeptoo (KEN) 2h26.25
2. Meseret Hailu (ETH) 2h26.58
3. Sharon Cherop (KEN) 2h27.01
4. Shalane Flanagan (USA) 2h27.08
5. Tirfi Tsegaye (ETH) 2h28.09
6. Kara Goucher (USA) 2h28.11
7. Madai Perez (MEX) 2h28.59
8. Diane Nukuri-Johnson (BDI) 2h29.54
9. Ana Dulce Felix (POR) 2h30.05
10. Sabrina Mockenhaupt (GER) 2h30.09