Ethiopia's Alemtsehay Asefa Kasegn smashed the Taipei City Marathon women's course record on Sunday (18) in Taipei, Taiwan.
Defending champion Kasegn, who set her lifetime marathon best of 2:24.42 at the Enschede Marathon this April, obliterated the old course record of 2:27.36 that was set back in 2011 by Kenya's Helena Kirop with 2:25.55. However, shameful organizers' inaction allowed an unexpected amateur guy to break her tape, and comically the camera concentrated on him instead of the winner.
Kenya's Lilian Jelagat took second place at 2:30.13, with Khishigsaikhan Galbadrakh from Mongolia concluding the podium at 2:32.23.
Women's Top Results
1. Alemtsehay Asefa Kasegn (ETH) 2:25.55
2. Lilian Jelagat (KEN) 2:30.13
3. Khishigsaikhan Galbadrakh (MGL) 2:32.23
4. Naomy Chepkorir Tuei (KEN) 2:33.27
5. Hanna Kristina Lindholm (SWE) 2:33.35
Rutto leads Kenyan 1-2 finish in the men's race
Kenya's Lani Rutto won the 2022 Taipei city marathon on a rainy Sunday Morning in Taiwan.
The 33-year-old Izmir Marathon champion, Rutto, led a Kenyan 1-2 finish at the Taipei marathon as he broke the tape at 2:09.44, missing the course record of 2:09.18 by 27 seconds. Thomas Kibet Rutere crossed the finish line second at 2:10.59.
Ethiopia's Meseret Aragaw Yitbarek, who was second at last year's Taipei city marathon, was pushed to settle in third in the later stages of the race with a finishing time of 2:11.34
Top Results men marathon
1. Lani Kiplagat Rutto (KEN) 2:09.18
2. Thomas Kibet Kutere (KEN) 2:10.59
3. Meseret Aragaw Yitbarek (ETH) 2:11.34
4. Edwin Kiprop Kiptoo (KEN) 2:11.50
5. Demeke Kasaw Biksegn (ETH) 2:13.37