• Another young RunCzech Racing star emerges at Mattoni Usti nad Labem Half Marathon
First across the finish line of the Mattoni Usti nad Labem Half Marathon (RunCzech race awarded IAAF Gold Label) was a young RunCzech Racing team member Stephen Kiprop from Kenya, in a time of 00:59:41. Meanwhile his compatriot runner Diana Chemtai Kipyokei proved herself the best among the women securing a confident victory with the same time as the event record set by Peres Jepchirchir in 2015 – 1:07:17.
A strong wind and warm temperature of over twenty degrees did not support the expectations of a strong international elite field representing ten countries from four continents (Asia, North America, Africa, and Europe). Nevertheless, the event proved to bring some surprising results and personal bests.
The race was headed for quite a while by a large group featuring the race favorites. Taking control of the men’s field at the twelfth kilometer, 19-year old Kenyan Stephen Kiprop, the youngest among the male elite field, managed to run away from the leading group to win while improving his personal best by three seconds (00:59:41). The RunCzech Racing team member has launched his European running career earlier this year and reigned supreme at a total of three races, including the Mattoni Olomouc Half Marathon (another RunCzech IAAF Gold Label road race). Stephen was followed by Barselius Kipyego (1:00:25) from Kenya. Running in third place, was another RunCzech Racing team representative Abel Kipchumba (1:00:39) /KEN/.
The women’s race heralded a triumph also for Kenya. The fastest woman on the course Diana Chemtai Kipyokei improved her personal best by eighteen seconds but missed improving the event record by only one second, clocking 1:07:17. Diana ran her personal best last Saturday at the Birell Prague Grand Prix 10K (RunCzech IAAF Gold Label road race) finishing third. Running in second place, was Nancy Jepkosgei Kiprop (1:07:32), followed in third by Lucy Cheruiyot (1:09:52), both from Kenya.
When it comes to European representatives the first among men was Jiří Homoláč from the Czech Republic (1:05:12), and among women – Lilia Fisikovici from Moldova (1:10:45) setting a new national record. This year she triumphed at the Mattoni Ceske Budejovice Half Marathon finishing first overall in the EuroHeroes event – a new RunCzech initiative aiming to support the European athletes.
Japanese Yuka Takashima finished eighth (1:11:43), followed by American Sara Hall (1:12:36).
“RunCzech today has delivered another quality event. Of course, we would be happy with a new event record among women, but we are especially proud of the results from the young and promising RunCzech Racing team member Stephen,” revealed Carlo Capalbo, President of the RunCzech Organising Committee and Chairman of the IAAF Road Running Commission.
The eighth Mattoni Ústí nad Labem Half Marathon played host to a total of 3436 runners with 2683 at dm family run.
You can watch the highlights of the race HERE.
RESULTS TOP 10 MEN
1. KIPROP STEPHEN | KEN |00:59:41
2. KIPYEGO BARSELIUS | KEN | 01:00:25
3. KIPCHUMBA ABEL | KEN | 01:00:39
4. AMGHAR HICHAM | MAR | 01:01:15
5. KURGAT AMOS KIBIWOTT | KEN | 01:01:28
6. HATTORI YUMA | JPN | 01:01:40
7. KWEMOI PETER | KEN | 01:01:50
8. KIPKURUI NICODEMUS | KEN | 01:01:59
9. KOECH GEOFFREY KIMUTAI | KEN | 01:02:20
10. RONOH TIMOTHY KIPLAGAT |KEN | 01:02:26
RESULTS TOP 10 WOMEN
1. KIPYOKEI DIANA CHEMTAI | KEN | 1:07:17
2. KIPROP NANCY JEPKOSGEI | KEN | 1:07:32
3. CHERUIYOT LUCY | KEN | 1:09:52
4. DIDA DERA | ETH | 1:09:53
5. NENKAMPI PERINE | KEN | 1:10:11
6. FISIKOVICI LILIA | MDA | 1:10:45
7. KARIMI LUCY | KEN | 1:11:15
8. TAKASHIMA YUKA | JPN | 1:11:43
9. HALL SARA | USA |1:12:36 1:12:36
10. TSUZAKI KIKUYO | JPN | 1:15:25