×

• Van Niekerk Cruises to Diamond League 400m Record

Article source: Athletics

World record holder and Olympic champion Wayde van Niekerk broke the Diamond League 400m record in Lausanne on Thursday, July 6.

The South African sprinter, Van Niekerk, clocked a world leading 43.62sec in Lausanne, the third fastest time of his career. Van Niekerk's 43.62sec performance in Lausanne broke the long standing Michael Johnson's meet record.

"I didn't come with a specific time in mind but I am pleased with this result," Van Niekerk said.

"I do have a love-hate relationship with the 400m, but I always try to approach it with a positive mindset, not setting myself any limits.

"And the performances keep me going along, which keeps me passionate about what I do." he added.

Russia's Maria Lasitskene was another athlete that broke the Diamond League record on Thursday.  The 24-year-old Lasitskene cleared massive PB of 2.06m in the women's high jump to set a new Diamond League record and to equal Russian record. Lasitskene also extended her winning streak this year to 16 competitions.

The 35-year-old Amercian Sprinter Justin Gatlin of the United States sprinted to victory in the men's 100m in 9.96sec.

"I didn't have a great start," said Gatlin.

"I'm not at my A-game at the moment and that sows I'm a human.

"I am still a competitor Now I will be able to go back to training knowing that my bases are are in place."

World champion Dafne Schippers of Netherlands managed to win the 200m race in 22.10sec. Marie-Josee Ta Louo of Ivory Coast took second in a new new national of 20.16sec.

Genzebe Dibaba attempted Svetlana Masterkova's women's mile recrod of 4:12.56. The Ethiopian super star ended up winning the race in a new world leading time of 4:16.05.

"I felt good during the first part of the race. I had good legs up until 1 200m. And then it blocked," Dibaba said.

"It's a pity as the conditions were good. I need to train some more to have some freshness at the end of the race."

In the women's javelin, Olympic champion Sara Kolak of Croatia threw a massive world leading 68.43m to beat Czech Republic's Barbara Spotakova (67.40m) into second place.

Sam Kendricks of the United States cleared  5.93m in the pole vault for the win. Poland's Pawel Wojciechowski took a surprise second place with a new PB of 5.93, while world record holder Renaud Lavillenie of France with 5.87m concluded the men's pole vault podium.

American women dominated both hurdle races in Lausanne. Ashley Spencer won a talent stacked women's 400m hurdles race in 53.90, while Sharika Nelvis clocked a new SB of 12.53sec to win the women's 100m hurdles.

Latest Videos
» Live Stream Athletics
Friday, Feb 22nd at 14:00 (UTC)
Friday, Feb 22nd at 15:00 (UTC)
Friday, Feb 22nd at 17:00 (UTC)
Friday, Feb 22nd at 18:25 (UTC)
Friday, Feb 22nd at 19:00 (UTC)
Friday, Feb 22nd at 20:30 (UTC)
Saturday, Feb 23rd at 06:15 (UTC)
» Flash News
• Indoor Mile Record Attempt on Sunday March 3

On March 3rd at Boston University Yomif Kejelcha will go after the Mile World Record following the completion of the IC4A/ECAC Conference Meet. Keyelcha, the two times World indoor champion over 3000m, attempted to break the World indoor mile record on February 9 and clocked an impressive 3:48.46 missing Hicham El Guerrouj's World record by 0.01 seconds.

February 22, 2019 See More on: TWITTER OP

• Final entries available for European Indoor Championships

The final entries for the Glasgow 2019 European Athletics Indoor Championships are now available to view here.

A total of 637 athletes representing 49 nations will be competing at the Emirates Arena from 1-3 March.

February 22, 2019 See More on: European Athletics

• Montana State University Receives Anonymous $1 Million Gift in Honor of Retired Coach Dale Kennedy

Montana State University and the Bobcats Athletic department announced a $1 million gift in support of the MSU track and field program in honor of former head coach Dale Kennedy this past Saturday. The anonymous gift was made public at the celebration for the career of the well regarded Kennedy which was hosted by the Montana State Bobcat Club on MSU’s campus over the weekend.

February 20, 2019 See More on: USTFCCCA.ORG

• SPOTLIGHT ON TEFERA AS WORLD INDOOR TOUR SET TO CONCLUDE IN DUSSELDORF

Nine of this season's 11 IAAF World Indoor Tour titles will be up for grabs when the six-meeting series concludes with the PSD Bank Meeting in Dusseldorf on Wednesday (20) night, but none will be as eagerly anticipated and as closely watched as the battle for the men's 1500m when Samuel Tefera returns to the track just four days after his sensational world record-breaking run in Birmingham.

February 19, 2019 See More on: IAAF.ORG

Past Headlines Latest Results Upcoming Events
Watch Athletics
©2019 WATCHATHLETICS.COM. All rights reserved.