• Farah Sets European Half Marathon Record
Double Olympic champion in 5000m and 10000m, Mo Farah, won the Lisbon Half Marathon with a new European Record on Sunday, March 22.
The 31-year-old Farah out-sprinted in the last 100m Kenya's Micah Kogo to win the race in 59.32. Farah shaved off 20 seconds from Spain’s Fabian Roncero record.
“It feels amazing, I got massive support from the crowd. It wasn’t easy, the race organisers put in a great field. To win here was hard but it’s my birthday is tomorrow so it’s a good birthday present. I feel so happy to break the British record and European record,” Mo Farah told ahead of his birthday.
The men's podium concluded Kenya's Stephen Kibet, who posted 59.58 minutes.
The womne's race winner, Rose Chelimo, clocked 68:22 and was almost 1 minute ahead of Portugese Sara Moreira, who finished after 69:18. Pre race favourite Priscah Jeptoo finished in third, just three seconds behind Moreira.
1. Mo Farah (GBR) 59.32
2. Micah Kogo (KEN) 59.33
3. Stephen Kibet (KEN) 59.58
4. Guye Adola (ETH) 1:00.45
5. Edwin Kipyego (KEN) 1:01.48
6. Kevin Kochei (KEN) 1:01.56
7. Sahlesilassie Nigussie Meketa (ETH) 1:02.16
9. Silas Kipruto (KEN) 1:03.19
10. Ezekiel Chepkorom (UGA) 1:03.30.
1. Rose Chelimo (KEN) 1:08.22
2. Sara Moreira (POR) 1:09.18
3. Priscah Jeptoo (KEN) 1:09.21
4. Purity Cherotich Rionoripo (KEN) 1:10.24
5. Ana Dulce Felix (POR) 1:10.27
6. Doris Changeywo (KEN) 1:11.54
7. Koren Jelela (ETH) 1:11.55
8. Workenesh Edesa (ETH) 1:12.00
9. Pauline Wanjiku (KEN) 1:12.09
10. Jane Jepkosgei (KEN) 1:12.55